Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Nana's Tea Cakes

   When I worked at Hernando Bank's branch in Horn Lake, Mrs. Wooten used to always bring tea cakes from the school cafeteria.  Yes, I said school cafeteria!  Those ladies were such good cooks & I ate many lunches there during my ten years working down the road!  I never got her recipe, but was excited when Mrs. Sybil Crawford shared this one from her Nana.

Nana's Tea Cakes
1 cup sugar
1 stick oleo
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract  (sometimes I use lemon extract)
2 cups plain flour

Cream sugar & oleo.  Add vanilla, almond, & eggs.  Sift dry ingredients and add a little at a time while beating. Pinch off small balls of dough, flatten with a fork.  Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.

You can also chill the dough to roll out or put through a cookie press.

No comments:

Post a Comment